Visa help


Here you can find help and information on how to apply for a visa to go to an iGEM 2014 Jamboree. Certain countries require a visa for citizens to enter the United States. Please verify if you will require a visa to attend the Giant Jamboree.

iGEM Headquarters does not have any authority over consulate offices or the visa application process. The only way to have the highest chance of successfully obtaining a visa is to apply early. If you do not yet know who will be attending the Jamboree, err on the side of caution and have all members apply for a visa.

Students should apply for B-1 visas, not B-2. This is a business visa, not a travel visa. Under a travel visa you are not allowed to present at a conference.

Invitation letter system

You can get a customized invitation letter to use when applying for your visa by using the new invitation letter system!


  1. Log-in to
  2. Click on My Account
  3. At the bottom of your account page you will see a box for Visas - Invitation Letters
  4. Click on edit and enter your information
  5. Save your edits
  6. Download your invitation letter by clicking on "Download an invitation for the iGEM Giant Jamboree"

Important: Make sure that you are on your team's roster. If you are not already on the roster you must join the team and have the primary contact approve your request to join. Alternatively you can ask the primary contact to provide you with the team membership joining code. For more instructions on how to join the team see the Registration FAQs.